How it works
Each year the government tops up thousands of super accounts through the co-contribution scheme.
If you earn less than $51,021 in the current financial year and make one or more post-tax contributions to your super, you may be entitled to receive a co-contribution of up to $500 from the government. Eligible members earning $36,021 or less per year will receive a maximum entitlement of $500 applied to your account. For those on incomes over $36,021 pa the benefit works on a sliding scale, phasing out at an income of $51,021.
Am I eligible?
You can get an estimate of your potential eligibility for the government co-contribution by using our calculator.
You may be eligible for a co-contribution provided you:
- make personal contributions to your super from your post-tax income
- earn a total income of less than $51,021 in this financial year (total income is assessable income plus reportable fringe benefits and reportable employer superannuation contributions)
- lodge an income tax return for the financial year
- don’t hold an eligible temporary resident visa at any time during the financial year
- are less than 71 years old at the end of the financial year in which the contribution was made
- are employed full-time, part-time or casually
- earn at least 10% or more of your total income for the financial year from eligible employment.
If you're starting your career break or only worked part of the year on reduced hours, you may be eligible for the government’s co-contribution. So if your salary has reduced, now's a great time to take advantage of topping up your super with a co-contribution.
It's easy to make a contribution
There are two ways to make a contribution:
Contribute via BPAY®GET YOUR BPAY NUMBER
Complete a form
Need help with co-contributions?
At TelstraSuper we’re here to help you build a secure financial future. TelstraSuper Financial Planning has a team of phone based Advisers who can provide you with simple adviceto help you work out how much you can get in co-contributions. There's no additional cost for our phone based advice as this is included in your TelstraSuper membership. If you’d like to discuss co-contributions or if you have any other financial advice queries contact us on 1300 033 166 or request an appointment with our online contact form.