Relationship breakdowns can be stressful enough, without worrying about what’ll happen to your finances. Take some comfort in knowing that we’re here for you. TelstraSuper Financial Planning Advisers can offer advice and guidance to ensure your financial commitments stay on track. 

Did you know that men's super balances at retirement are, on average, twice as large* as those of women?  Separation or divorce can widen these gaps, but there are things you can do to ensure your retirement security isn't affected. 

Here are some important things to consider: 

  • your super is a valuable asset, which forms part of your assets. When your marriage or de facto relationship ends, did you know super can be split? You have the right to request information about your partner’s super. This is important especially for women who've had long periods of time out of the workforce. Find out more by downloading our Family Law and your super factsheet.
  • it’s an important time to review your insurance.  Would you have enough insurance cover in the event you couldn’t work for a period of time? 
  • if you die, who gets your super? When your marital situation changes, so should your beneficiary nomination
  • changed your name recently? Don’t forget to let us know. Update your contact details so we can keep in touch about important information relating to your super
  • have you thought about debt management and cash flow in the future? Potentially moving to a single income may have its challenges. Our team of Financial Advisers can offer professional advice and guidance on managing your debt and cash flow.    
*Superannuation account balances by age and gender, ASFA Research and Resource Centre, December 2015 

Need help in times of change?

If you’re currently going through a separation, we know this isn’t an easy time, so come and see a TelstraSuper Financial Planning Adviser who can help you plan the steps you need to take, and ensure your finances stay on track. Give us a call on 1300 033 166 to discuss the options available to you. Or fill in our online contact form to have a Adviser give you a call.    

Request a call