You may also be able to transfer any other insurance cover you have to your TelstraSuper account.
Before making changes to your cover you should:
- read the relevant PDS and Insurance Guide for your membership category.
- log into SuperOnline to confirm what insurance you have.
- use our calculator† to see what your new premiums will be.
Increase your Death & TPD cover and / or change Income Protection cover
Complete the Insurance Telephone Application Request form to:
- Increase your Death and TPD cover, and/or
- Change your waiting periods or apply for Income Protection cover
You can either mail the completed form back to us or email it to email@example.com. You will then be contacted by a TAL Tele Service consultant at a scheduled time, who will guide you through the insurance cover application. This phone call can take between 30-45 minutes, depending on your responses to the medical, health and lifestyle questions.
Note this form is not for cancelling insurance - see below for how to cancel your insurance.
Cancel or reduce your cover
To reduce or cancel your existing insurance cover you can:
- go to your online account or
- call us on 1300 033 166; or
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you want to cancel your cover - please provide your membership number and contact details in the email; or
- fill in this form and either email, fax or mail back to us.
It's important to note that if you cancel any insurance, including any base* cover, and wish to reapply at a later date, evidence of your occupation, health and lifestyle will need to be provided to TAL for assessment. TAL may place an exclusion or premium loading on cover or may decline cover as a result of their assessment.
If you cancel your cover:
- you will not be able to make a claim for insurance benefits for events or conditions that arise after your cover has cancelled
- we will no longer deduct insurance premiums for the cover you have cancelled
- your ability to restart your cover may be subject to health assessment and acceptance by our insurer who may place an exclusion or premium loading on cover and you may not be able to get cover
- if you are replacing your cover with alternative cover, you should not cancel until the replacement cover is in place.
Before you cancel your insurance you may wish to discuss your decision with a TelstraSuper Financial Planning Adviser on 1300 033 166.
Cancelling cover for inactive and low balance accounts
If a contribution or transfer has not been made to your account in the previous 16 months, government regulations require us to cancel your insurance cover unless you elect for your cover to be maintained.
We will write to you 7, 4 and 1 month(s) prior to when your cover would otherwise be required to be cancelled to notify you and provide you with the option to elect for your cover to be maintained, or to make a contribution to your account. By making a contribution your account will be considered ‘active’ and your insurance will be maintained.
You will need to opt-in for member paid insurance cover if your account balance is less than $6,000, or you are under 25 years of age. If you are in these categories, and you wish to keep or obtain member paid insurance, you must make a written election or in certain circumstances you can contribute to your account to take the balance over $6,000. Find out more.
Your insurance may also be cancelled if your account balance is less than $6,000, or you are aged 25 years or under. If you are in these categories, and you wish to keep your insurance, you must elect to opt-in to keep your insurance or you can contribute to your account to take the balance over $6,000. Find out more.
A loading (or increase) may be applied to your insurance premium if there is a higher than average probability that a claim will be payable in the future due to factors such as occupation, health or lifestyle. Our insurer TAL will assess these factors based on information supplied via the insurance application process. It is calculated by a percentage increase on the standard annual Top-up premium rate. Premium loadings are relatively common and enable insurers to provide cover in situations where there is an increased risk of health issues.
More information on how loadings work and the definitions of the occupation classes can be found here.
Life events cover
You can apply for additional Death or Death and TPD cover without providing medical evidence, following a specified Life Event such as getting married or divorced, having a baby, buying a house and other significant events.
Transfer your cover
If you have insurance cover (Death & TPD) with another super fund, you can apply to have it transferred across to TelstraSuper.
Keep in mind that certain occupations are not eligible for insurance transfer. So don't cancel your existing cover until you receive written confirmation that your insurance has been transferred.This information is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any advice you should assess whether it is appropriate for you and consider talking to a financial adviser. Before making any decision or acquiring any product you should obtain and review its product disclosure statement by calling 1300 033 166 or on this website.
* Subject to the 'At Work' requirement and other eligibility criteria, conditions and exclusions contained in the Policy. See the relevant PDS for further information.
† the calculator provides quotes for white collar occupational ratings only
Need help with your insurance cover
At TelstraSuper we’re here to help you build a secure financial future. If you’d like to discuss your insurance or if you have any other financial advice queries contact us on 1300 033 166 or fill in our online contact form. There’s no additional charge for our phone based service as this is included in your TelstraSuper membership.Online contact form