You may also be able to transfer any other insurance cover you have to your TelstraSuper account.
Before making changes to your cover you should:
- read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement and Insurance Guide for your membership category.
- log into SuperOnline to confirm what insurance you have.
- use our premium calculator† to estimate what your new premiums will be.
- use our needs calculator to provide you with an estimate of the type of cover and amount of cover you might need based on the information you provide about your circumstances.
- log into SuperOnline to apply for or cancel your cover or access the relevant form.
Increase your Death & TPD cover and / or change Income Protection cover
- Increase your Death & TPD cover, and/or
- Change your waiting periods or apply for Income Protection cover
by logging into your online account* and completing the application online or by completing the Insurance Telephone Application Request form and returning the completed form back to us or by emailing it to email@example.com.
Once your application is submitted to MLC Life Insurance, you will be contacted by a Tele-Underwriting Consultant at a scheduled time, who will guide you through the insurance cover application. This phone call can take up to 30-45 minutes, depending on your responses to the medical, health and lifestyle questions.
Note this form is not for cancelling insurance - see below for how to cancel your insurance.
*Eligible members only. Or you can download most forms from telstrasuper.com.au/forms
Cancel or reduce your cover
To cancel your cover log into your online account.
To cancel or reduce your existing insurance cover you can:
- call us on 1300 033 166; or
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you want to cancel your cover - please provide your membership number and contact details in the email; or
- fill in this form and either email, fax or mail back to us.
It's important to note that if you cancel any insurance, including any default cover, and wish to reapply at a later date, evidence of your occupation, health and lifestyle will need to be provided to MLC Life Insurance for assessment. MLC Life Insurance may place an exclusion or premium loading on cover or may decline cover as a result of their assessment.
If you cancel your cover:
- you will not be able to make a claim for insurance benefits for events or conditions that arise after your cover has cancelled
- we will no longer deduct insurance premiums for the cover you have cancelled
- your ability to restart your cover may be subject to health assessment and acceptance by our insurer who may place an exclusion or premium loading on cover and you may not be able to get cover
- if you are replacing your cover with alternative cover, you should not cancel your existing insurance until the replacement cover is in place.
Before you cancel your insurance, you may wish to discuss your decision with a financial adviser from TelstraSuper Financial Planning Adviser on 1300 033 166.
Cancelling cover for inactive and low balance accounts
If a contribution or transfer has not been made to your account in the previous 16 months, government regulations require us to cancel your insurance cover unless you elect for your cover to be maintained.
We will write to you when your account has been inactive for 9, 12 and 15 months, reminding you about the option to elect for your cover to be maintained, or to make a contribution to your account. By making a contribution, your account will be considered ‘active’ and your insurance will be maintained.
If your cover is cancelled due to inactivity, you will have the opportunity to reinstate your cover by requesting this in writing within 60 days of the date the cover was cancelled and making a payment into your account, if applicable.
You will need to opt-in for member paid insurance cover if your account balance is less than $6,000, or you are under 25 years of age. If you are in these categories, and you wish to keep or obtain member paid insurance, you must make a written election or in certain circumstances, you can contribute to your account to take the balance over $6,000. Find out more at telstrasuper.com.au/protect including an election form.
Existing insurance cover that you have may also be cancelled if your account balance is less than $6,000, or you are aged 25 years or under. If you are in these categories, and you wish to keep your insurance, you must elect to opt-in to keep your insurance or you can contribute to your account to take the balance over $6,000. Find out more at telstrasuper.com.au/protect including an election form.
A loading (or increase) may be applied to your insurance premium if there is a higher than average probability that a claim will be payable in the future due to factors such as occupation, health or lifestyle. Our insurer, MLC Life Insurance, will assess these factors based on information supplied via the insurance application process. A loading is calculated by a percentage increase on the standard annual voluntary premium rate. Premium loadings are relatively common and enable insurers to provide cover in situations where there is an increased risk of health issues.
Life events cover
You can apply for voluntary Death or Death & TPD cover without providing medical evidence, following a specified life event* such as getting married or divorced, having a baby, buying a house.
*Specified life events are set out in the relevant insurance policy.
Transfer your cover
If you have insurance cover (Death & TPD) with another super fund, you can apply to have it transferred across to TelstraSuper.
Keep in mind that certain occupations are not eligible for insurance transfer. So don't cancel your existing cover until you receive written confirmation that your insurance has been transferred.This information is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any advice you should assess whether it is appropriate for you and consider talking to a financial adviser. Before making any decision or acquiring any product you should obtain and review its product disclosure statement by calling 1300 033 166 or on this website.
Need help with your insurance cover
At TelstraSuper we’re here to help you build a secure financial future. If you’d like to discuss your insurance or if you have any other financial advice queries contact us on 1300 033 166 or fill in our online contact form. There’s no additional charge for our phone based service as this is included in your TelstraSuper membership.Online contact form